[lbo-talk] Chomsky now at No. 1 on Amazon, No. 2 at Barnes & Nobl

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Sat Sep 23 10:01:55 PDT 2006

Jon Stewart is a brilliant comedian, so he works with the news as it is reported. He is hardly following the Time's line. That's funny. Chavez deserves to be lampooned. Any self-important famous person should be the subject of humor and ridicule. It's just too bad that Stewart couldn't needle leftists who virtually worship Chavez. His audience just wouldn't get those references.

-clip-

I didn't read the transcript of his remarks. I think that the stuff he said that was reported was amusing, albeit tame. Everybody knows that people around the world don't like Bush. Hell, the Daily Show airs humor about that every other night. Who cares if he said something forceful at the U.N. about capitalism and imperialism. Are his words going to change any minds? No, certainly not Americans, who see the U.N. as the joke that it is.

Chuck

^^^^ CB: Yea, it's much more important that a "brilliant" gringo like Jon Stewart lampoon a genuine representative and leader of the working classes of the world than that there be a forceful critique of capitalism and imperialism at the UN.