[lbo-talk] chavez, bush, the devil and jon stewart

sean.andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 11:49:38 PDT 2006

> Chuck
>
> Jon Stewart is a brilliant comedian, so he works with the news as it is
> reported. He is hardly following the Time's line. That's funny. Chavez
> deserves to be lampooned. Any self-important famous person should be the
> subject of humor and ridicule. It's just too bad that Stewart couldn't
> needle leftists who virtually worship Chavez. His audience just wouldn't get
> those references.

Actually he had a bit where he said, basically, that people who appear with Chavez look crazy by extension.

> CB: Yea, it's much more important that a "brilliant" gringo like Jon Stewart
> lampoon a genuine representative and leader of the working classes of the
> world than that there be a forceful critique of capitalism and imperialism
> at the UN.

I agree that he's basically towing the general impression of Chavez in the US press. But in and of itself, there's something to be said for his point, which was that Chavez calling Bush the devil makes legitimate critics of Bush also seem "crazy." I kind of feel he's making a legitimate point, though, again, he's on a comedy program, hence the segment ended with an interview with the Devil (literally). Anyway, judge for yourself

http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=75778 http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=75778

As for what he said, partial transcript:

"Look, Hugo, I know you're not a fan of our president. Many of us have some problems with him as well. He lives in a bubble, stubborn, he's a bully-- that's no secret: in fact I believe that's what he campaigns on. My point is this: when you call him "The Devil" it somewhat brings discredit those who would oppose the man's policies while not necessarily being batshit insane.

Now I gotta tell ya, sir, if your point is that the president needs to be more humble, well, dare I say, you may be the wrong messenger for that message [shows image of Chavez speaking at a podium in front of a much larger picture of Chavez.] Let's be honest, Hugo, the Chavez imprimatur is not a guarantee of freshness, if you know what I'm talking about.

There's Cindy Sheehan hugging away her credibility with you. There's Harry Belafonte: tally him "bananas." And there's Danny Glover this morning [shaking hands, hugging Chavez on a stage then giving some sort of fist in the air salute] in Harlem, after you had called the president the devil again.

By the way, Danny Glover, what are you doing? Seriously meet me at camera four [camera four has never been used in the show before. It seems to be on the floor, pointing up, in front of Stewart's desk. He crawls on top of the desk to look down at the camera]

Hey, Danny: what is with the /Lethal Weapon/ team. I mean, first Gibson, now you. How'd you guys squeeze four, pretty solid movies out of that partnership. I mean what kind of conversations were you guys having in the trailer:

"Hey Mel, the workers must control the means of production.

Yeah I know, Danny: fuckin' Jews."

Look, calling Bush the devil is just stupid--and inaccurate, how do I know? Well on the phone with us now, are you there sir?

DEVIL (from Ninth Circle, Hell): I am indeed, Jon, thank you for having me. Long time, er, first time...Well as you can imagine, last night my ears were burning.

STEWART: What with the whole stir about Chavez talking about you, comparing you to the president?

DEVIL: No, no. not that. I live in a fiery pit: my ears, they're always burning. But seriously. My point is this: Bush is not me. And hey, Hugo, you're no angel. And if the president has earned a place here, believe me, I got a cubbyhole with your name on it too, pal. Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta get down to Georgia. I'm taking part in a fiddle contest against a young man. They claim this kid's the best there's ever been.

STEWART: Well, thank you very much, Devil. Always a pleasure to have you on the program.

DEVIL: Wait! Wait. wait. Could I get a quick plug in here for my food cakes.

STEWART: We don't have time for that, Devil.