[lbo-talk] Chomsky now at No. 1 on Amazon, No. 2 at Barnes & Nobl

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 22:45:06 PDT 2006

On 9/24/06, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> Charles Brown wrote:
>
> > CB: Yea, it's much more important that a "brilliant" gringo like Jon Stewart
> > lampoon a genuine representative and leader of the working classes of the
> > world than that there be a forceful critique of capitalism and imperialism
> > at the UN.
>
> Jon Stewart is just a comedian and doesn't claim to be anything else.
>
> Chavez a "genuine" representative and leader of the working classes?
>
> Somebody is spreading the American leftist hogwash pretty thickly this
> weekend. I'm sure that more than a few actual working class Venezuelans
> would laugh at this description of Chavez as the avatar of their interests.

I'm sure there are more than a few working-class Venezuelans who do not think Chavez represents them, and there should be! If everyone agreed with Chavez in Venezuela, it would be creepy. But, at the same time, it has to be admitted that the man is popular among a majority of working-class Venezuelans and has a lot of supporters in the rest of Latin America, the Middle East, and beyond.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>