[lbo-talk] Cambodia bets big on tourism

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Sep 25 09:43:18 PDT 2006

Jean-Christophe Helary

Yet another difference: it takes 3~4 hours to see anything you need to see of Notre Dame, but it takes about 3~4 days to see _all_ the temples of the Angkor area.

[WS:] That is not a fair comparison - you should be comparing Notre Dame to Angkor Wat rather than the entire Angkor complex. In both cases, it indeed takes about 3-4 hours to see anything one needs. To make a valid comparison to the Angkor complex one would need to compare it to seeing all major gothic cathedrals in Ile-de-France - which I am sure would take 3-4 days or more.

PS. I understand that France is dropping some serious money to help preserving Angkor, not to mention EU initiatives to build infrastructure and health care there. I can only wish that the pittance of foreign aid this country provides were put to similar uses.

Wojtek