[lbo-talk] chavez, bush, the devil and jon stewart

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 25 16:02:37 PDT 2006

> "J. Tyler" wrote:
>
> I haven't asked Stewart to toe any line. I have merely pointed out that his
> actions have empowered the US government (however slightly) to further
> oppress the Venezuelan people, something you appear not to have
> understood, or, if you have, not to have any objection to.

Carrol wrote:

There can be no more deadly criticism of Chavez than any

criticism which even faintly suggests he is a clown or "crazy." This

kind of propaganda is far more dangerous than obvious propaganda in

building up sentiment for eventual war on Venezuela. In fact, without

this kind of "nuanced," "comic," "good-natured" spoofing of Chavez the

more overt attacks would not have the atmosphere to be effective.

Which is so obvious it makes ChuckO's ranting against Chavez and in support of Stewart's "Brilliant satire" all the more strange. It isn't as if anyone here called for Stewart's head on a plate, or was trying to implement a campaign to get him fired. It was a very mild criticism of Stewart which made ChuckO apoplectic. Is Stewart above criticism in ChuckO's opinion? Are politicians fair game but TV personalities off limits?

The criticism of Chavez was of a individual nature, his use of rhetoric which is all well and good to ChuckO but the criticism of Stewart was from a viewpoint of solidarity, something apparently to be opposed by hyper- individualistic anarchists.

John Thornton