[lbo-talk] chavez, bush, the devil and jon stewart

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Sep 25 08:47:40 PDT 2006

"J. Tyler" wrote:

>I haven't
> asked Stewart to toe any line. I have merely pointed out that his
> actions have empowered the US government (however slightly) to further
> oppress the Venezuelan people, something you appear not to have
> understood, or, if you have, not to have any objection to.

Probably few on this list are old enough to remember the last time 'criticism' of a foreign leader took the form of exercising comic wit over his craziness. The leader was Mossadegh. He spent the rest of his life in the Shah's prison. That was the _real_ start of the war the u.s. is now waging. There can be no more deadly criticism of Chavez than any criticism which even faintly suggests he is a clown or "crazy." This kind of propaganda is far more dangerous than obvious propaganda in building up sentiment for eventual war on Venezuela. In fact, without this kind of "nuanced," "comic," "good-natured" spoofing of Chavez the more overt attacks would not have the atmosphere to be effective.

Carrol