[lbo-talk] chavez, bush, the devil and jon stewart

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Sep 25 21:15:57 PDT 2006

Carrol Cox wrote:

> I've known anarchists, however, who unlike Chuck did know the meaning
> of solidarity, and one could talk to them. There are/have been some on
> this list in fact. Anarchists can also be deeply devisive and then cease
> to be merely annoying. There is an entertaining tale of Big Bill Haywood
> strapping on a 44 and muttering that he had to go clean out a nest of
> anarchists in some local(I think Alberquerque) of the IWW.

You must be smoking something interesting to equate criticism of some leftist world leader with not understanding what solidarity means.

Of course, there are many ways to be in solidarity with people without supporting the person who runs their country. This is, after all, what anarchism is about. Anarchists don't support Chavez any more than they support George Bush, Tony Blair or fill in the blank name of a world leader here. One can oppose a leader like Chavez, oppose American imperialism, and act in solidarity with the Venezuelan people.

To impugn my reputation by suggesting I don't understand solidarity is silly and ridiculous. I've run a website for the past 11 years that has provided solidarity to many people around the world, including more than a few people in prison. I've been involved in many protests, campaigns and projects offline and online in solidarity with people. I've been an organizer in the anti-globalization movement for many years. I've organized demonstrations in support of Mumia Abu-Jamal, Leonard Peltier, the Angola 3 and countless activists who have gone to jail. Last year I helped establish the Common Ground Medical Clinic in New Orleans, which has provided basic medical care to over 23,000 New Orleanians.

Now what were you saying again about me not knowing the meaning of solidarity?

Chuck Infoshop.org