[lbo-talk] value form

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 18:12:52 PDT 2006

C. Bill,

Look around your house.

Consider the things you want.

They're commodities. They are objects subject to exchange, if for no other reason than the basket of goods you want in your house is different from the basket of goods I want in my house. So we have to engage in exchange to get to the basket of goods we need.

Of course people want to do work simply to contribute - the basis of society is reciprocal altruism - but they do also want their needs met. And so they offer to satisfy the needs of others (writing books, working at a computer factory, and, yes, even having sex) in exchange for the means to get what they want. It's not an evil thing. For reciprocal altruism to work, there has to be reciprocity.

Why do you insist that producing commodities is evil?

boddi