[lbo-talk] rethinking marxism

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Thu Sep 28 12:47:14 PDT 2006

>Since the rise of modern nationalism, local customs, languages, and so
>forth have often become "problems" for nation states, for nationalists
>have often demanded homogeneity in such matters

Agreed. Unfortunately, many putative antinationalisms and anticapitalisms have similar expectations, though rather than trying to erase languages and customs, ie, culture, they are more concerned with erasing or subsuming political difference. "We are all Hezbollah," for example, allegedly a statement of solidarity with Lebanon, is nothing if not an attempt to subsume nonsectarian support for Lebanese people under the banner of pro-Hezbollah anti-imperialism. And how many times have women, blacks, queers, been told they must wait until after the revolution to get theirs, all in the name of unity?