[lbo-talk] rethinking marxism, this time seriously

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 28 12:41:25 PDT 2006

I think that rethinking Marxism should start with rethinking the conference logistics itself - to make it accessible to "the masses." Amherst might be a quaint lovely town, but there is no place to stay there. This is a result of a simple market principle that even Marxists should understand: excess of demand over supply.

Hotels.com and Travelocity come up with hotels within the 30 or mile radius, but they all have a problem - transportation. To get from, say, Springfield to Amherst one needs a car. For me, this means driving all the way from Baltimore - about 7 hours behind the wheel - instead of taking the Amtrak, which has a direct connection.

I wonder what was the thinking (if any) behind organizing a Marxist conference in a little Podunk hosting an elite college, instead of a place to which wage earning grunts can actually get and stay, or better yet, live there (like NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore or Detroit). Is not it indicative of where the Marxist thought is nowadays?

In any case, I do not think that rethinking Marxism in person is worth the horrors of a 7-hour drive, and then another 30 or so mile car commute. I shop on line to avoid driving to the burbs, so I'll pass this one too.

Wojtek