[lbo-talk] Imputing motive

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 28 15:07:03 PDT 2006

On 28 Sep 2006 at 17:20, Angelus Novus wrote:

> I wish I had a comprehensive theory as to why this is
> so prevalent on the left. When I lurk on
> right-conservative and far-right boards, I am always
> impressed by the patience and understanding shared
> between those who disagree on various points. When
> someone does not share the hegemonic opinion, the
> assumption is that they are confused or insufficiently
> informed, not that they are a bad person with bad
> motives or possibly a troll.

What conservative lists have you sub'ed to that are so filled with patience and understanding? This is not a rhetorical question. I would like to know the names of conservative lists that impressed you so.

All my forays in the world of conservative lists have given me exactly the opposite view. They are populated by people think anyone who disagrees with their world view are not just "confused or insufficiently informed" but too stupid to see "the truth" or else bad people who want to control the thoughts and actions of others. They believe unions reduce workers freedom and government actions are generally bad and can also only deprive people of freedom. I have not been impressed by the debating skills I see except on rare occasion and generally they are too annoying for me to hang around very long. I can only take so much right-wing pomposity and piety. It is not necessary to sub to such lists to get a conservative viewpoint. One hardly need go looking for conservative viewpoints. They are the norm in the US. Just watch FOX for an hour a day.

John Thornton