[lbo-talk] Andy Stern Interview

Joanne Landy jlandy at igc.org
Thu Sep 28 19:21:57 PDT 2006

Dear Greg,

Yes, please ask Andy Stern why he isn't joining the groundswell of labor groups that are supporting single payer national health insurance, aka "Expanded and Improved Medicare for All." I have a list of 184 labor union groups--locals, state feds, central labor councils, etc. that have endorsed John Conyers's HR 676 the United States National Health insurance Act," and more unions are joining in every week. (please write me if you want a copy of the list.) This movement in labor is still young, but it's very exciting, and potentially very powerful.

Why has Stern insisted on solutions that keep the giant insurance companies in a central position in U.S. health care? --Joanne Landy P.S. Stern was on Brian Lehrer's show a few weeks ago, and I called in and made comments along these lines. Unfortunately Stern was not still on the air, so he didn't have to answer. It would be great if you would put these questions to him.