[lbo-talk] Imputing motive

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Sep 29 09:26:24 PDT 2006

At around 29/9/06 12:10 pm, tfast wrote:

>> They do not regard outsiders (i.e. leftists) kindly,
>> but show much understanding and patience with each
>> other. For example, if a young Nazi expresses his
>> interest in hip-hop music or culture, he is not
>> outcast and belittled, but there is patience for such
>> ultimately unimportant cultural preferences. What
>> counts is one's ultimate commitment to ultimate goals.
>>

> A kind of felt gloved fist approach to the project of fascist solidarity.
> That is the ticket alright.

That's not the ticket for us, yes, but the opposite, a hyper-individualistic "look how smart I am" attitude (which I claim is what is at the base of a lot of the [new] leftist theory-mongering impulse), is perhaps even worse.

--ravi

P.S: yes, I am definitely psycho-analysing here, but I see no escape against this tactic other than to employ it against its users.

P.P.S: IMHO, theory and analysis are not only important, but are good tools to obtain knowledge, which (again IMHO) is indispensable in choosing the right action. The problem occurs when theorizing is pursued for its own sake and available theories are employed in a statutory (knee-jerk) manner (we are able to recognize this well enough when we are accused of anti-semitism for opposing Israeli action).

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/