[lbo-talk] Dennis Kucinich

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 18:34:39 PDT 2007

I see three reasons:

1. Kucinich's fervent, albeit unorthodox and New Agey, Catholicism

informs every position he takes. He was solidly anti-abortion until 2002.

This makes a large sector of the American left very nervous.

2. He's also downright odd. The man precedes his public speeches with

Tantric meditations. This makes another sector of the American left, smaller

but with more money, even more nervous.

3. He has honest-to-God working-class revolutionary instincts. Unlike

John Edwards, he hasn't forgotten his roots. This makes the smallest but

wealthiest sector of the American left extremely nervous.

I've shaken hands with a few members of Congress, and Kucinich is one of only three (along with Cynthia McKinney and Connecticut's Chris Murphy, who had just been elected and not yet inaugurated) who didn't make me feel queasy. I wish America had a left capable of propelling him all the way, but needless to say, it doesn't.

Why is their not