[lbo-talk] Dennis Kucinich

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 1 18:44:05 PDT 2007

On Apr 1, 2007, at 8:57 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> I'd be surprised if any US leftist other than Chuck0-like anarchists
> (abstention), Solidarity and the ISO (a third party), and incorrigible
> pacifists (Dennis Kucinich), who together constitute a small minority
> of US leftists, would campaign for anyone other than a
> Master-Class-approved Democratic Party candidate and try to change the
> parameters of "electability" (the seal of Master Class approval,
> signified by direct and indirect campaign donations, corporate media
> coverage, etc.).

This is ludicrous. The left, whatever that is exactly, in the U.S. is small and weak. It has no chance of electing a president, or even of significantly influencing a presidential campaign. It's a waste of time to think otherwise, though that didn't stop the Nader campaign. The left, whatever that is, would be better off spending time at lower levels of politics - city, state, even the House of Representatives, but the presidency is a lost cause.

Doug