[lbo-talk] SEIU membership

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 12:51:33 PDT 2007

> I most certainly would not make that argument, and I'd contemplate
> throwing someone off the list for doing so. But the organizing
> approach is completely different - it's not about persuading scared
> and/or skeptical workers and maneuvering around a hostile boss. It's
> about writing big checks to politicians and cashing in on those
> contributions. There are only so many workers you can organize that way.

You're right there's relatively little employer opposition in homecare and childcare campaigns (although there is a fair amount when they're agency workers -- as opposed to independent providers). But your evaluation gives short shrift to the actual grass-roots organizing that occurs in these campaigns. It's not as simple as writing a check to some politician.