[lbo-talk] The Death of Classical Music (da capo, con, brio)

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 3 12:53:10 PDT 2007

>What's better? I grew up enchanted by that old ham Leonard
>Bernstein's TV shows. You mean that sort of thing?
>
>Doug

Sure, maybe the cornier the better for the little ones. My daughter is learning about classical music from her mother but without that I don't see where in the media landscape she would get it.

I also think things could be shaken up a little in other ways to get people interested. For example, a musicologist named Susan McClary argues that symphony orchestras wear black to hide the musicians' bodies and deemphasize the physicality of a live concert. Whether you buy that or not, changing the look of an orchestra and doing some ridiculous promotion on tv might get more people in the tent.