[lbo-talk] nice guy

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:15:56 PDT 2007

>From: bhandari at berkeley.edu
>
>Marx certainly did not have the temperament to become a bourgeois
>politician which one liner Remick counts against him.

I don't count Marx's foul temperament against him so much as note that, sadly, his temperament *worked* against him, limiting his influence. As Schurz noted: "not only had he [Marx] not won any adherents [via his omnidirectional criticisms], but he had repelled many who otherwise might have become his followers." The "relentless criticism of all existing conditions" is a nifty notion in the abstract, but you do have to put a cork in it once in awhile if you're going if you're going to get anything done in the world of practical politics, bourgeois or otherwise. Many have critiqued the world, so to speak -- the idea is to change it.

BTW, I of course don't fault Marx for being constantly pissed off and very often in a towering fury -- that's pretty much my default setting also.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft Office Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/