[lbo-talk] Not A Very Nice Man

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Apr 4 16:36:24 PDT 2007

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 20:54:16 +0000 "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com> writes:
> >From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
> >
> >I said that Marx he had a bad temper and a bitter
> >tongue ...
>
> ... and a fat lot of good it did him. Marx's frequent idle
> vituperation was
> counterproductive in the extreme. E.g., from Carl Schurz's
> "Reminiscences"
> on Marx in Cologne, 1848:

Who except students of the 1848 revolutions in Germany and US Civil War aficionados remembers who Carl Schurz was? And almost everybody has at least heard of Marx, even if they don't have a clue as to what his ideas were. Over the long run, Marx's polemicizing was, in my judgment, quite effective, even if he managed to piss off a lot o people along the way.