[lbo-talk] French set new rail speed record

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Thu Apr 5 17:39:52 PDT 2007

At 06:13 PM 4/5/2007, you wrote:

>On Apr 5, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>
> > Miami to Atlanta is over 600 miles as the crow flies. 600 miles is
> > longer than *any* fast train route in the world, if you don't include
> > connections through Tokyo.
>
>We are going to kill ourselves if we keep flying as much as we do.
>There's just no two ways about it. So we have to find substitutes,
>and high-speed trains are an excellent candidate. You can try as hard
>as you like to find reasons to argue against them, but it's not going
>to change the fact that we can't keep spewing greenhouse gases and
>water vapor into the upper atmosphere with mad abandon.
>
>Doug

I don't know, but dang J. I had to fly from Va to Tampa and will be flying (first class!) for a job interview in Tampa in a couple of weeks. I had to hop one flight to Cincinnati and then hang out in the airport for four hours. Plane took off at 6 am, got into Tampa a 12:55. The next flight is a leetle better, but for the comfort of being able to walk around instead of spending most of two short flights strapped into a seat just to get from VA to Tampa .... I'd rather go rail for something like that -- even IF it took me the same amount of time.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)