[lbo-talk] French set new rail speed record

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Fri Apr 6 05:43:06 PDT 2007

On 6 avr. 07, at 21:30, Andy F wrote:

> I agree as far as this being a necessary but insufficient condition.
> There is so much irrationality in individual car use (driving a half
> mile to the health club, I need an SUV to cart the kids around) that I
> think it would take a very big stick to change that.

There was a Honda seller at home today. When I asked him about hybrid cars, he basically told me that the price difference would allow me to drive a long way on gasoline only before I find any financial interest in getting an hybrid. I had to spell out explicitly: "e.n.v.i.r.o.n.m.e.n.t" for him to get my point. _If_ the extra 300,000 yen mean that I'll affect less the environment for the same distance driven then I'm fine with paying. Especially since I know the car will mostly be used by my wife to go pick the children at school when it is a 15mn walk from home (and the occasional 60km drive to see the family...)

Jean-Christophe Helary