[lbo-talk] French set new rail speed record

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Fri Apr 6 04:21:10 PDT 2007

Well, I think you can factor out security holdups since the same kind of security would be applied to trains if a lot more people used them. Right after 9/11, when I was working in the info security business, we bid on a ton of projects that dealt with security for all kinds of transportation -- trains and particularly metro transportation like the subway and bus systems. These transporation systems have always been aware of the potential for attacks, they just never made that big a deal of it before. The increased security measures on these systems lasted for about all of 6 months while they implemented what Richard Forno called nerf-based security -- and that and 3.50 will get you a mocha latte at Starbucks.

While I've sent my kid on a lot of plane flights, I haven't flown that much. I'd forgotten about the ramped up security in some respects, only remembering that I couldn't bring liquids and tubes of cream. I'm standing in line at 5 a.m. wondering why in HELL people in front of me are running around with no shoes on. I get to the conveyer belt, put my stuff on there and the guy tells me to take off my shoes. I stand there, jaw dropping, wondering, "What the HELL do I have to take my shoes off for and frick, I wore clogs and no socks" -- b/c I was in a hurry and couldn't find the knee hi nylons.

You can bet that kind of crap would be implemented for long-distance trains -- which would be goofy because it wouldn't be implemented for commuter trains because they just couldn't deal with the extra wait times and staffing needs. Nerf-based security, IOW.

Like Doug, it's not an either/or. Some areas of the country have geography that's simply not conducive to rail. Fine. Other areas do. Back in Tampa, a rail line across Tampa Bay between St. Pete/Clearwater and Tampa would have been most excellent since Tampa is a major employment hub, but getting across the bay on the bridges is a ridiculously long drive for a short 20 miles. On a normal day, that's 1.5 hrs commute if you don't get snared in traffic. The roads are so horrible with bumper to bumper, emergency vehicles can't get through for accidents and they always have to use an chopper to get accident victims. There's simply no way an ambulance can get through when you're on the Courtney Campbell and it's packed or when you're on Highway of Death US 19.

Where I'm living now is a huge railroad hub because that's where the rails end up in order to ship stuff out of what is a HYOOOOGE port. Watched a commercial train pass the other day. Longest one I'd ever seen in my life -- it went on forever and ever and people drove around an alternate route rather than wait it was that long. We waited. I wanted to see the caboose. No caboose damn it!

B -- loved Petticoat Junction re-runs -- L

who also notes that trains will become like buses and flying buses under capitalism too. so I wouldn't count on that being advantage if rail ever got off the ground. har har.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)