[lbo-talk] French set new rail speed record

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 05:58:10 PDT 2007

--- Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:

> Ah, there's the rub: a lousy night's sleep on a
> train (I'd say that I've

[WS:] You sometimes surprise me Jordan. You seem to be an intelligent and worldly person, yet sometimes your inability or unwillingness to think outsise the box is mind boggling.

I was not discussing the specifics of a particular train or plane route or connection. Obviously, there are many stituations in which those specifics will tip the balance quite considerably one way ot the other.

What i was talking about is certain rigdity of the Homo Americanus who will enabling it (like transportation or housing), instead of being more flexible and creative in rearranging those routines - like "I may reschedule my day and do X, Y and Z first instead of A, B, and C as i originally planned, and thus I can take the train instead of the plane of my gas guzzling SUV and be a bit easier on the environment." No, the Homo Americanus insists on having it exactly his fathead suburban way or highway - he will not bulge, everything has to bent around his fat lazy ass. If you is accustoimed to driving to work, he will drive to work, not matter what - how expensive the gas is, or how cheap and convenient the alternatives are. If he thinks flying is chic, he will fly, without even considering any other alternatives. I've heard this so many times from suburban fatheads that it is not even funny. Changing the routine and standing out of the crowd scares the living shit out of them.

You seem to be following that mindset, Jordan, in your arguments. It is dispiriting. If intelligent and worldly US-ers have diffciulty thinking outside the box to reting their lifestyle choices, there is no hope for the rest of the American sheeple.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Finding fabulous fares is fun. Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains. http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097