[lbo-talk] dire words from IPCC

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 6 11:01:38 PDT 2007

On Apr 6, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> The discussion we need, perhaps, is not how to prevent global warming,
> but how to prepare to survive under the conditions created by it --
> i.e., to regard global warming the way we regard an approching rain
> squall: we don't wonder how to stop it but take our umbrella with us.
> Global warming is coming, and debate about how to stop it has become
> pointless. How do we prepare for it.

What is it with this outbreak of either/or thinking? First Jordan says forget planes, just focus on ships, as if you couldn't do both, which you should. And now this. Yes we have to prepare for what's inevitable, but we can also make what's inevitable less severe. Large chunks of the bourgeoisie now accept this (for details, see my piece in The Nation's forthcoming special ish on climate), and are talking about 60% cuts in GHG emissions over the next several decades. If we don't do at least that much, we are totally fucking fucked.

Doug