[lbo-talk] You Can't Make Me Talk

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Apr 6 11:34:10 PDT 2007

Carrol Cox wrote:
> Miles Jackson wrote:
>
>> Yes. Moreover, we have plenty of examples of people effectively
>> allocating resources in various groups and organizations without market
>> "signals":
>>

> I've never particularly participated in this debate (or even read the
> posts on it), because I have never yet seen anyone really defend the
> assumption that we _need_ to have an efficient allocatin of resources.
>
> What's wrong with an inefficient allocation? (Actually, I can see all
> sorts of things wrong with efficiency, but very few things really wrong
> with ineffieciency.)
>
> Carrol

Yes, I've brought that up in earlier iterations of this topic. Economic production (in the broad sense of producing all the goods and services we need, not just the commodities) just has to be effective enough. Granted, what's "enough" is a complex practical and ethic question, but maximal efficiency at all (human) costs is not necessary.

Miles