[lbo-talk] dire words from IPCC

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 12:58:46 PDT 2007

Chuck:

It's ridiculous and irresponsible to take the attitude that it is too late to stop global warming. This fatalistic attitude can only come from adults who aren't thinking about how the future generations will have to deal with the problems we did nothing about. We may not be able to reverse or stop global warming, but if we are proactive now we can hopefully lessen the effects down the line. We owe it to our grandchildren and the planet.

I don't even have children and the fate of future generations is constantly on my mind.

Of course. And on mine as well.

But I hope that you and others will agree that there is a very big difference between lessening the effects of climate change -- which I'm passionately dedicated to bringing about -- and a full halt 'stopping' of climate change - applying some sort brakes that will arrest the process.

Stopping, in other words, a vast, atmospheric modification our infrastructure has conjured but which unfolds according to physical laws we do not and can not control.

Is it fatalism to say we must achieve two ends: stop thoughtlessly adding fuel to the warming process even while we plan for the projected consequences?

There is no real contradiction here and no actual conflict; we are, as before, saying almost precisely the same thing and yet still finding reasons for hectoring.

.d.