[lbo-talk] You Can't Make Me Talk

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 13:12:51 PDT 2007

> --- Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote:
>

> > ^^^^^^^
> > CB: Oh, in that case, go ahead and don't talk
> about
> > it. Just seems that
> > periodically, you start talking about it and then
> > suddenly in the middle say
> > you aren't going to talk about it,

Occasionally an very brief intervention seems like it might be helpful to clear up a simple misconception, if there are any simple ones on this area, and it seems worth the risk to offer a brief observation without opening Pandora's Box and turning the market-v. plan debare loose on the lsit once again, much less participating in it.

> > it seems impossible
> > _prove_ that _in
> > principle_ there can't be substantial planning of
> > the economy.

I agree, actually, totally, with this statement. And also with the underlying idea, that there can and should be substantial planning in a modern economy.

Every last
> > thing may not be plannable, but it could be
> planned
> > sufficiently to solve
> > the problems that market "instability" cause.

I agree with this statement too.

It
> can
> > be planned to the
> > extent that every last person's basic needs are
> > substantially met

And this one.

> > Seems impossible to
> > prove that planning can't do it better than the
> > market.

And this one.

> > Also, the timing of Hayek's thesis is suspicious
> as
> > being ideologically
> > motived as anti-Sovietism.

And this one.

_Of course_ Hayek and Mises were motivated by anti-Sovietism. Mises' first contribution to the calculation debate isn't dated 1920 by accident.

> > Sure, there are information problems, but with
> > modern computers , WalMart
> > methods ,etc. it seems a lot more doable.

It's at this point that I get off, because when I try to explain what the issues are, I don't seem to be able to make my ideas clear enough so that I get relevant responses that actually join with what seems to me to be the main points. It's very frustrating and not helpful.

There is a large literature, some of it pretty accessible; interested people can read and find someone else to talk about it with.

____________________________________________________________________________________ 8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time with the Yahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#news