[lbo-talk] dire words from IPCC

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 6 13:47:21 PDT 2007

On Apr 6, 2007, at 4:28 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> As Dwayne points out, nothing we do now will prevent a huge climactic
> change. If you are interested in the next generation you damn well
> better give primary attention to building social relations that can
> survive with some decency in that world. This is not fatalism. Your
> position amounts to trying to solve Katrina by dipping out the water
> with a thimble.

My position is that we've got to do something to mitigate what's likely to happen, and at the same time radically cut greenhouse gas emissions in the coming decades. I don't understand how that's thimble-like. I've actually done a fair amount of research (reading and interviews) on this topic, so I'm not just making stuff up. If you think that we can't do what's necessary without smashing capitalism, then you're living in a fantasy land, because we don't have that much time.

Doug