[lbo-talk] how many Americans go to church, and why?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 7 10:14:21 PDT 2007

Didn't Gary Trudeau have a cartoon a decade or so ago in which Doonesbury's mom was testifying before some committee and presented herself (or was presented), because she was a woman with a family farm in a prairie state, as "Iconic!"

Of course everyone knows that people in the cities aren't real people. They are just latte sipping gay commie yuppie pervert weirdos, just like all those folks in Bensonhurst and Jamaica Plains, or Bridgeport and Bronzeville. (Actually Bronzeville is getting yupped out, but with Black people.)

There of course gays, commies, increasingly yuppies, perverts, and weirdos even in Queens, but the point is obviously that there are tens of millions of working class people in the cities who are so real that the people who decree or assume that only rural white Southerners are real wouldn't want to associate with them either.

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=237