[lbo-talk] how many Americans go to church, and why?

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 8 18:42:23 PDT 2007

Michael Smith wrote:

>Up-close personal observation
>leaves me thoroughly convinced that the social matrix of the
>evangelical church is quite important in congregants' lives -- and
>the more 'into' religion they are, the more churchy their social
>circle is.

I've had some up-close personal observation too and I'm not nearly as convinced. One thing left out of this discussion about community is the importance of radio and tv to evangelicals. I know, from up-close personal observation, that a lot of people's churches are electronic:

<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-virtual8apr08,1,1290438.story?coll=la-news-a_section>http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-virtual8apr08,1,1290438.story?coll=la-news-a_section

In Second Life, nobody knows you're a lapsed Catholic

Virtual houses of worship await you in the online universe. Can that emu sing a hymn in tune? By Stephanie Simon Times Staff Writer

April 8, 2007

If all goes well, the naked lady won't show up this morning when Pastor Craig Groeschel preaches his Easter service. But several cats will probably drop in. A horned dragon might perch on the crimson seats. There could even, perhaps, be an emu strolling in.

Groeschel will deliver his sermon in an Oklahoma City church. It will also be streamed over the Internet to the virtual world called Second Life ­ a world populated by 5 million pixilated characters of every description.

[....]

http://prayer.ag.org/

The National Prayer Center was established in 1994 to provide a call center and receiving point for requests from people needing help through prayer. Since its establishment, millions of calls and requests have come to the 1-800-4-PRAYER phone line and through email, fax, the web site, and mail. A central office located at the Assemblies of God headquarters in Springfield, Missouri, handles the calls and other requests with the help of a growing network of <http://prayer.ag.org/spc/index.cfm>Satellite Prayer Centers and <http://prayer.ag.org/ipn/index.cfm>Intercessory Prayer Networks around the country. Faithful volunteers take the incoming calls and pray over requests received each week. However, as calls and requests increase, the need for more volunteers increases. Please consider partnering with us through the satellite or intercessory prayer ministries. You can be a blessing to many people who need God’s help; and you too will be blessed and enriched by your participation.