[lbo-talk] Radicalizing the carbon cycle

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Apr 8 19:59:08 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2007, at 8:01 AM, Chuck Grimes wrote:
>
> > ``...is it an entirely bad thing to have big capital showing signs of
> > taking climate change seriously, and trying to push the
> > U.S. government into action?'' Doug
> >
> > ------------
> >
> > First to the last point. Yes it is a very bad thing. And big capital
> > is buried deep in all the regulatory agencies, conferences, papers,
> > and a whole industry of energy R&D.
>
> Chuck, none of the stuff you talk about is going to happen in our
> imaginable lifetime, and we've got to cut greenhouse gas emissions
> starting tomorrow.

Doug, Four years ago you wanted a policy which would get the electricity turned on in Iraq _right now_, and on that grounds questioned the Out Now slogan.

You always want things _right now_.

And you can't get them so quickly.

No one is going to cut enough of those emissions to prevent the coming of a new global context for human action. And it is the wildest pie-in-the-sky to think otherwise.

Carrol