[lbo-talk] Radicalizing the carbon cycle

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 8 20:13:18 PDT 2007

On Apr 8, 2007, at 10:59 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Doug, Four years ago you wanted a policy which would get the
> electricity
> turned on in Iraq _right now_, and on that grounds questioned the Out
> Now slogan.

No, as I recall, I said that a lot of Iraqis, perhaps a majority, did not support the Out Now agenda. Many, fearing the consequences of our having destroyed their state with nothing to take its place, wanted some sort of peacekeeping force without the U.S. Obviously that is no longer true.

> You always want things _right now_.

And what is "Out Now!"?

> And you can't get them so quickly.
>
> No one is going to cut enough of those emissions to prevent the coming
> of a new global context for human action. And it is the wildest
> pie-in-the-sky to think otherwise.

So what's your idea? Wait for the water to rise to our ankles and then the masses will awake, arise, and expropriate the capitalists?

Doug