[lbo-talk] evangelicals: how many walk the walk?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 03:01:05 PDT 2007

A line in yesterday's Washington Post<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/08/magazine/08pope.t.html>reminded me of the survey Doug cited:

A recent survey of the Church of England by researchers at the University of Wales showed that only 60 percent of its clergy believe in the virgin birth of Jesus...

In related news, few Buddhist countries face difficulties either recruiting armies or sustaining alcohol industries.

If we want to compare claimed religious affiliations with actual beliefs and behavior, we can have all kinds of fun doing so, but will accomplish little in the process.

It makes little sense to restrict our consideration of a religious group to those fitting the textbook definition.