[lbo-talk] The Iraq Policy of the U.S. Ruling Class

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 9 08:48:47 PDT 2007

Michael Smith wrote:

> I know this view is widely shared, but I think it's mistaken. The
> Democratic Party as an institution(*) appears to be solidly behind
> the war -- this one, and the imminent next step into Iran. It's
> not because they're afraid of being seen as soft; it's because
> they're not soft.

The fundamental grounds upon which all leftists "soft on the DP" base their position is the charge that DP politicians are "cowards" -- i.e., the DP really has good principles but is simply afraid to back up those principles. Nonsense. They have firm principles: Imperialist Principles -- and they would rather lose elections than fail to support those principles.

Carrol