[lbo-talk] Radicalizing the carbon cycle

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 08:54:25 PDT 2007

Wojtek:

<snip>

there is a lot of good science in the "unholy alliance" of capitalists, governments, trade unions, and other mainstream institutions. I would go as afar as saying that there is incomparably more good science in the mainstream institutions...

[...]

Ironically Wojtek, although you're criticizing Chuck for missing something you're actually only repeating what he wrote in this thread's original post:

"I'll bet a lot of the data necessary to figure out how to model our carbon activities is locked away in corporate R&D labs."

This is true.

I've consulted at several large-scale American materials science corporations (Rohm and Hass Chemicals, for example).

Happily, my work routinely gave me opportunities to work closely with scientists in these firms and I can tell you from direct experience that they possess a wealth of information (locked away by patents and other restrictions, as CG says, but momentarily accessible when you're on the inside) that would contribute to the sort of input systems analysis Chuck's talking about.

This invaluable research must be made part of the open knowledge pool and, in turn, integrated into activist efforts.

I think that's essentially what Chuck was saying regarding corps.

.d.