[lbo-talk] Imus

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Apr 10 12:15:45 PDT 2007

Doug:

Nice take. You say that Imus wouldn't refer to Jews that way. According to an email from FAIR, he once called Washington Post reporter Howard Kurtz a "boner-nosed... beanie-wearing Jewboy." Surprised he got away with that one!

[WS:] Why should not he? Why should not he be able to say what he wants? It is one thing to incite to riots or harming others, but slurs are pretty harmless, no matter how idiotic. I am pretty much libertarian as far as freedom of speech is concerned. People should be able to say what they want and if someone gets offended, it is his problem. He can shout back if he wants or ignore it (as I usually do), but using censorship to silence offensive speech will in the end do more harm than good. It is fascists and right wingers who will invariably benefit from censorship.

Wojtek