[lbo-talk] not much time to avert catastrophic temp rise

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Wed Apr 11 12:24:01 PDT 2007

I was being sarcastic. Your garden variety liberal went along with the Iraq war either actively or passively. Sure many are standing up to be counted now (although not that many) but "the needle is in and the damage is done" as they say. So to hell with your grey scale.

Such shades work in both directions and that was kind of my dads point. When mainline American liberals do finally stand up to be counted it is already too late (and always seems to happen when what is going on is going to cost themselves something). Perhaps they would stand up much sooner if they were not so busy mixing shades of grey that they could not tell right from wrong.

On this the right is absolutely correct. They do the fighting so that cushy liberals can mix grey scales. And then at the very end of it all they stand up and condemn them for the very actions they tacitly condoned. It is like reading Krugman's lament of income inequality after he played such a large role in pushing neoliberalism during the 1990s.

Perhaps we can amend my father's pithy little statement: When at first you scratch liberal he cries, then in shame, not wanting to look like wimp endorses low level fascism, then finding the courage of his conviction does a volte-face and decries the very fascism he signed himself and others onto. Stick that on your color display with a high level of moral resolution.

> Travis:
>

> OTOH, my American father always said: "scratch an American liberal and 9
> times out of ten you get a fascist." He was angry back then, something
> about "liberals" supporting the Vietnam War. At least "liberals" in the
US