[lbo-talk] Kurt Vonnegut dead at 84 - R.I.P.

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 08:47:43 PDT 2007

>From: "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com>
>
>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_re_us/obit_vonnegut
>
>... Vonnegut ... often marveled that he had lived so long
>despite his lifelong smoking habit ...

One of Vonnegut's best jokes of his later years was his repeated threat to sue the cigarette manufacturers for false advertising because, despite the promises of their warning labels, they had failed to kill him.

Vonnegut was one of the great heroes of my youth back in the 1960s. I stopped reading him in the '70s because I thought he had pretty much written himself out, and as was noted in a Washington Post article a couple of years ago, he himself conceded he did his best work before he was 55.

But Vonnegut was, to the last, one of the great voices of sanity and civilized values of our age. Truly, no one has better earned the right to rest in peace than he.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.  Enter to win today. http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline