[lbo-talk] Query on Roman Empire

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 12 09:17:37 PDT 2007

There were two elite languages -Latin and Greek, for the Western and Eastern halves of the Empire. It would not be fair to say that the elite came from any particular location (Italy or Thrace). Many of the Emperors from late antiquity came from the area now known as Yugoslavia (Which I believe was the llatin speaking part of the Empire). An entire dynasty of Emperors was from North Africa and may spoken Punic as well as Aramaic. SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com>