[lbo-talk] Japan extends North Korea sanctions six months

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Apr 12 09:16:51 PDT 2007

Reuters.com

Japan extends North Korea sanctions six months http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUST27940120070410

Tue Apr 10, 2007

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan decided on Tuesday to extend sanctions on North Korea set last October after it conducted a nuclear test, as doubts grew over whether Pyongyang can close a nuclear reactor by a mid-April deadline.

The sanctions, which include a ban on imports from the impoverished communist state and which bar all North Korean ships from entering Japanese ports, will be extended for six months, Foreign Minister Taro Aso told reporters.

Aso said sanctions were being extended due largely to a lack of progress both on resolving the issue of Japanese nationals abducted by North Korea as well as on Pyongyang's shutdown of a nuclear reactor. According to a February 13 agreement, North Korea had 60 days to shut its nuclear facilities in return for energy aid.

North Korea walked out of six-party talks on ending its nuclear weapons program last month when the transfer of $25 million in funds held at Blanco Delta Asia (BDA) in Macau failed to go through.

"The North Koreans have not dealt with the abduction issue in good faith, and they have not dealt with the nuclear issue either, giving the BDA as a reason," Aso told reporters after a cabinet meeting at which the sanctions decision was made.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yasuhisa Shiitake urged North Korea to show a constructive stance.

"Our fundamental stance is one of pressure and dialogue, and appropriate pressure is sometimes necessary to hold dialogue," he told a news conference.

"We of course hope for dialogue, and we urge North Korea to respond positively on both the abduction and nuclear issues," he added. Japan's total trade with North Korea amounted to about $180 million in 2005, about half the figure in 2002, and trade dwindled further in 2006.

© Reuters 2007. All rights reserved.