[lbo-talk] Anti-globalists Reach Out to Islamists

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 13 13:17:23 PDT 2007

On Apr 13, 2007, at 3:33 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> The larger point -- an incompatibility of materialism in science with
> Islam and Islamism -- is contradicted by facts of scientific education
> in predominantly Muslim nations

That's your idea of the "larger point," not mine. (By the way, many hyper-Orthodox Jews have an odious social philosophy and are intense Zionists, and yet embrace science and technology too. I wouldn't rush to make any political alliances with them.) My "larger point" is that it's not enough that people take an anti-imperialist stance, if they hold women to be inferior beings and want to establish a theocratic empire - positions that the Muslim Brotherhood seems to support. I can see how you might want to change the subject, though.

Doug