[lbo-talk] Cheap point (was: Imus

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Apr 16 12:49:31 PDT 2007

Dennis:

Just today you have people asking you what rational person would argue that police should shout Miranda rights to a killer. The recognition of the harm done by that killer is implicit in that question. You throw accusations of looking through ideological lenses at (straw) people, whom you also accuse of not recognizing the harm done by criminals. Yet you yourself use the deaths of 22 people to score a cheap point.

[WS:] I certainly agree that it was a cheap shot, but not any cheaper than any of the 432 shots on the police brutality posted to this list. I see such posting as attacks on straw men (the police) from people with an agenda to either set the score with the system which they viscerally hate or perhaps to exonerate the dysfunctionality of their pet social groups by blaming it on straw men. And since the preponderance of the latter on this list upsets my dense of balance and proportion, I am trying to pout some counterweight to it to restore that balance and proportion. And if that makes me sound like a right winger, so be it - I have no problems accepting some opinions that I deem right from people with whom I otherwise disagree.

Wojtek