[lbo-talk] Cheap point (was: Imus

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 16 13:53:10 PDT 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 3:49 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> I certainly agree that it was a cheap shot, but not any cheaper than
> any of the 432 shots on the police brutality posted to this list.

Did you look at the hits? I see examples from Pakistan, China, Japan, Russia, and Iraq, as well as the U.S. And a lot of the hits, maybe a majority, are for non-contiguous occurrences - e.g., the words "police" and "brutality" in the same post, but not right next to each other. A quoted search on Google yields 178 hits <http:// www.google.com/search?q=%22police%20brutality%22%20site:lbo- talk.org>, again not all of them about the U.S.

This list has been around for 467 weeks; less than one hit a week isn't all that much. And if you use Google's 178 figure, it's one every 2.6 weeks. Cf. the word "fiscal," which has 3,220 hits on Google, and 2,197 in the archives.

Doug