[lbo-talk] the virginina university massacre

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Tue Apr 17 15:21:02 PDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 05:36:12PM -0400, Joseph Catron wrote:
> Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the profiling you and Woj
> suggest works adequately. (I don't believe that it would - I still
> remember the police playing "catch and release" with the Beltway
> sniper because their pet shrinks had told them to find a white guy -
> but I'll let that pass for now.) What then?

Yeah, there can certainly be bad or inept profiling.

> Who would be subjected to the observation necessary for a sufficient
> profile, and how? More importantly, what would be done with someone
> who "fit the profile"? Which of their human rights and civil
> liberties would be curtailed, and by whose authorization? How would
> any of this differ from "Minority Report," other than its lack of
> precision?

I am sure psychologists have a lot to say about the sorts of behaviors that can be identified that are consistent with the type of psychotic break which leads one to mass murder and suicide.

Imprisoning people based on the predictions of psychics would certainly be an indefensible position. Lucky for me I didn't propose it. ;-)

Most of us are exposed to other people during the course of our social interactions - school and work are most prominent - and many of us our already under "observation" to some degree, so some training in how to detect the warning signs so someone can receive some treatment certainly sounds reasonable to me.

Yeah, I suppose at some point you may have a situation that someone who needs help may refuse it - but then the courts already have ways for dealing with that situation.

While the mass media milks the gun control circus for all it is worth I wonder if any teachers and students noticed something before the massacre but didn't know how to get him some help - or tried to get him some help and the system had a shitty infrastructure for dealing with him.

"Profiling" has a bad rap because it conjures images of racist cops harassing anyone black. But profiling for *behavior* can be a good thing. My college profiled students who they thought at academic risk. Employers profile workers who aren't performing. Either of those institutions could be enabled to profile people for the type of mental illness which leads to mass murder.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

There are only two kinds of artists: the plagiarists and the revolutionaries.

-Paul Gauguin