[lbo-talk] the virginina university massacre

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Apr 17 15:26:06 PDT 2007

J. Tyler writes:

> Self-defense is a form of viglantism.

Oh stop it, it is not. It's specifically separate.

> And for somebody not under actual threat by the perpetrator,
> it would not be self-defense, but defense of others.

C'mon, everyone in that room was under imminent threat, even the four who ultimately escaped. Anyway, in the US (not sure where you live) 'self defense' and 'defense of others' are treated similarly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-defense_%28United_States%29

> A criminal is one who commits a crime ...

You said the other day that there's no such thing as a criminal.

---

Travis writes:

> I notice that there has been scant mention that very well armed
> and trained officers stayed outside while the shooting was happening.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that police arrived before the shooting stopped.

Have you?

/jordan