[lbo-talk] The Rule In Schmuck (Was Re: the virginina university massacre)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 15:45:42 PDT 2007

At the law school where I work there are a lot of cops taking classes, all of whom carry weapons. A colleague says he's thankful for the added security. If there are people with guns around, I'd rather have it be cops who are trained in their use, including when not to use them, than random civilians who can get themselves a permit. Maybe especially more than random civilians who'd be inclined to.

My class, when I asked them, said it would not make them feel more secure to know that I carried a weapon, if I did, which I don't. They said it wasn't me in particular, they just didn't want armed professors. ("The one bullet Socratic method. 'Miss Smith, what is the rule in US v. Schmuck [a real case, one of the leading cases in mail fraud]?' 'Uhhhhh.' BANG! 'Mr. Stevens, can YOU state the rule in Schmuck?'")