[lbo-talk] U.S. willing to give DPRK more time to shut down nuclear reactor

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Apr 17 17:46:05 PDT 2007

Xinhua http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/

Video

U.S. willing to give DPRK more time to shut down nuclear reactor http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-04/16/content_5982983.htm

2007-04-16

Special Report: The sixth round of six-party talks

BEIJING, April 16 -- The United States says it's willing to give the DPRK a few more days to shut down its nuclear reactor after Pyongyang missed Saturday's deadline. The U.S. is also urging the DPRK to invite IAEA inspectors back to the country to close its Yongbyon nuclear facility.

This is the latest in a series of setbacks. A multi-lateral deal was struck on 13th February, with the DPRK agreeing to shut down its Yongbyon nuclear processing plant within 60 days. The country had until Saturday to meet its commitment and in return receive 50,000 tons of oil.

Top U.S. negotiator, Christopher Hill says that Washington will give Pyongyang a few more days, and urged the DPRK to fully realize its commitments by inviting the IAEA to return immediately.

Hill said, "The Chinese hosts asked us to be patient and hold on a few days so we are quite prepared to do that but clearly we have to be in close contact and see what our next steps are. We think that it's time for them to get on with their task of inviting the IAEA back, that we can't see any more that we can do."

Hill made it clear that the DPRK will not receive any oil until it takes substantial steps to abandon its nuclear program.

Progress has been hampered by a dispute over the DPRK's frozen funds in a Macao Bank. 25 million U.S. dollars had been with-held by Washington for allegedly abetting money-laundering and counterfeiting.

The money has reportedly been made available, but fiscal authorities in Macao could not be reached for comment to confirm whether the DPRK had been able to remove any of the funds.

The DPRK's Foreign Ministry has repeatedly said it will carry out its side of the agreement on evidence that the funds have been released.

(Source: cctv.com)

Editor: Liu Dan

Copyright ©2003 Xinhua News Agency. All rights reserved.