[lbo-talk] the virginina university massacre

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Tue Apr 17 20:35:39 PDT 2007

At 9:16 PM -0500 17/4/07, Chuck wrote:

> I'm not talking about the "right"
>to bear arms, I'm talking about the practicality of banning guns in a
>society where many people own guns. It ain't going to happen

It happened here in Australia. Self-loading shotguns and rifles (even down to pump-action shotguns and .22 calibre semi-auto rabbit rifles) were banned. A lot of people had them, but they were banned and the existing ones were destroyed. Not 100% of them of course, but I would say 99.95% of them were collected and destroyed. It can be done. You are simply wrong about it being impossible.

Bill Bartlett Brackell Tas