[lbo-talk] NYT poll: Youth support war & Bush more than theirelders

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 19 16:40:19 PDT 2007

"C. G. Estabrook" wrote:

> I quite agree. But the real effect of formal education in regard to the
> war was perhaps not just to express the class interest but also to some
> extent to bring people into the government's consensus, such as it was.
> The 'uneducated' who did not support the the government's position
> came from both sides, as it were -- opponents of the war as well as the
> "win or get out" people. --CGE

I would emphasize this -- since up until 1965 I was part of the endeavor! I can still recall a late night debate in an Ypsilanti bar (Ann Arbor bars closed at midnight), 4 male and one female grad students, the 4 males (all Korean War vets) vigorously defending u.s. policy in the Cold War, the one female quite sensibly but ineffectively pointing out, "What the hell would the SU do with the US if they _did_ occupy us!" I'm sure our teaching reflected that attitude.

Carrol