[lbo-talk] Rethinking Liberalism

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Apr 20 21:16:00 PDT 2007

Jim Straub wrote:

> My favored strategy is literally, exactly, that: get the left out of the
> left ghetto.

Good idea, but I would dispute the idea that the "ghetto" exists or if it does exist, that it is a bad thing. This is one of my main beefs with anarchists who whine constantly about the "anarchist ghetto." We are part of our political communities, much in the same way that we are part of ethnic, racial, gendered, neighborhood, and special interest communities. Leftists need the "ghetto" because it helps sustain us. I think that we should embrace our "ghetto", read "community", and expand it.

Who wants to be an isolated leftist? How many of us live our lives solely in anything that resembles a political ghetto? If anything, many of us crave more contact with like-minded political people.

With that being said, I think that most leftists should spend more time talking to non-leftists.

> 1. Forced deportation of 50% of leftists from college towns and hip
> metropoles.

You mean that they will have to go get real jobs?

People are free to move to Kansas City. We aren't a "hip metropole" but our political community is growing here. On the other hand, there are plenty of "normal" people who could be engaged in college towns and hip metropoles.

> 2. Stringent rules on how much time of the day leftists are allowed to talk
> to each other.

Given the traffic patterns on this list, I think many of you are stealing time from the bosses during the work day.

> 3. Internal culture that prioritizes outreach, organizing, results, gains,
> base-building, moving individuals on issues, at the expense of theory and
> fantasism.

Done that. It's really encouraging to see the results when you spend several years on these things and then see surprising results.

> 4. Moratorium on discourses only relevant to or existent in left bubbles.

Uh oh! Some of the threads on this list will take a big hit. But we're an interesting bunch, so, to quote Seven of Nine, "You'll adapt."

> 5. No more puppets.

What? Puppets are wonderful! You can't complain about puppets until you've done at least one event with puppets!

Chuck